Re: debootstrap - can it do second stage for foreign architectures?

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 05:36:48PM +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Can debootstrap do second stage for a foreign architecture?
>
> For example, it is perfectly possible to make first stage of debootstrap
> process for arm on x86.
>
> However, I'm having problems in running second stage of debootstrap for
> arm on x86 (actually, I made it with qemu user emulation and binfmt_misc
> infrastructure in kernel and some additional hacking here and there;
> works fine with kernels 2.6.18, 2.6.22, but fails with 2.6.26).
>
> Is it possible to do a second stage of debootstrap for a foreign
> architecture?

Not that I know of.  That's actually kind of the point of splitting out the
second stage; it does all the bits that *can't* be done by the foreign
architecture (because it involves running native code like dpkg inside the
chroot / target filesystem).

- Matt