Re: Lenny installer string freeze status 20080903

Quoting Jens Seidel (jensseidel@users.sf.net):
> Hi Christian,
>
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 08:26:28AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > 18 days left before the end of the string freeze
>
> I suspect you want to tell us that there will be a release of the
> installer on this date? Since there will be no release of Lenny
> without an updated installer does this mean we can just continue
> working on/requesting translations for nearly 3 weeks?

Answers are in the mail with "Debian Installer final(?) string freeze
up to Sept. 21st" as Subject, which I sent on Aug. 28th.

The string freeze means that no changes will happen *and* that the
build of D-I packages will not be done until Sept. 21st.

> Currently you just informed us that we should expect further string
> changes in 18 days (which is OK for me).

Unless something very nasty requiring an urgent string change pops up,
no. There won't be any string changes. And even if there are some,
languages that would be incompelte because of it will not be disabled.

> In the past months (situation was different for Etch IIRC) I was always
> unsure whether Lenny will release next week, or later (applies to the
> freeze as well, I cannot remember reading about the freeze announcement
> of the base system). This made calling for translation updates

"string freeze" is only relevant for D-I. There is no such thing all
over Debian (for debconf templates or packages descriptions), though
it is certainly discouraged to do string changes when the distribution
is frozen.

When Lenny will be released is in the hand of the release team and,
for what's is worth, they communicated faily well about this, as of
now.

I hope this can answer some of the questions you might have.