Fwd: Feedback on lenny installer

Forwarding to correct group.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: മഹേഷ് മുകുന്ദന് | Mahesh M <maheshmukundan@gmail.com>
Date: 2008/8/25
Subject: [ssug-kollam] Fwd: VERY IMPORTANT. Please do read.

I had sent this mail to some Debian list, but perhaps a wrong
destination. If anyone has some idea on any of these please do reply.
And if possible bring it to the notice of Debian Officials.

Hello..
Lenny is a great work.
I would like to point out some of the troubles that many people (home
use) faced when they tried Lenny testing (the last release before
freezing). Here we installed Lenny on many more systems in our college
lab and in friends' laptops. Some of the troubles are pointed below:

* After installation drive names was once needed to be changed to sda
from hda in the grub. System failed to continue after loading the
kernel. (Edited the line root=/dev/hda8 blah blah to ...sda8...)
* CD/DVD drives are some times loaded as scd, sdd, hdd, hdb etc etc in
/dev/. It sometimes causes trouble.
* /etc/fstab entries do not always match with the actual device names
(hda instead of sda kind of error) as in the /dev/
* Disk drives are mounted by their name in /media instead of being
mounted in /media/cdrom. Synaptic will not detect the disk. Will have
to be manually remounted.
* Too much security for a user(a newbie finds all these very
difficult). Cant mount "ntfs" disks, even if mounted cant access it,
"root" cant mount cd , usb etc. Are all these actually necessary??
Should user given an option to select the way he wants all these to
be??
* What happened to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?? Everything different
in it. Many people had complaints with resolution, but cannot edit
this file. Where are the configuration files?? (VERY IMPORTANT)
* In some systems dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg exits without going in
for the "Monitor Autodetection" part. In such systems dpkg-reconfigure
-phigh xserver-xorg does no work at all.
* Cannot open "printer" from System tools (changed the place from
Desktop/Preferences eh??). Nothing comes at all.

These are some that i remember. If they are insignificant just ignore
them. If you want further details on any of these please to contact
me.

Hoping to see a grand release "ON-TIME" :)
All the best.

--
Mahesh M
Happy hacking...