late_command is in never-never-land?

Hello!

I am using the d-i preseed late_command option to launch a script that
installs a set of packages and makes some configurations.

The script seems to work fine. I am testing it the following way:
1. Boot d-i with 'auto url=myserver'. This has a preseed file that does
everything and does not run my late_command and does not answer the
final 'installation complete, now reboot' note; so it doesn't yet reboot.
2. Now I press <Alt>+<F2>, press enter, and run 'chroot /target /bin/bash'
3. I wget my late_command, chmod it and run it.

This way it works fine and completely non-interactively, as expected.

The problem is when I try to run this script via the preseed option like so:

d-i preseed/late_command string chroot /target /bin/bash -c 'cd /root/ &&
wget -q http://ahava/d-i/etch/late_command.sh && chmod 755 late_command.sh
&& ./late_command.sh' >> /var/log/syslog

The syslog bit is an easy way to watch the output, on tty4. Is there a better
way?

It runs it, of course, but it soon stops and the processes that are running,
that seem interesting, are:
/usr/bin/perl -w /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure -phigh debconf
/bin/sh /var/lib/dpkg/info/debconf.config reconfigure (can't read the rest)

The last interesting messages that are displayed are:
(date) log-output: debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Newt
(date) log-output: debconf: (Can't locate Debconf/FrontEnd/Newt.pm in @INC
(@INC
contains: /usr/share/perl5 /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr
share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .)
at (eval 19) line 2.)
(date) log-output: debconf: falling back to frontend: Noninteractive

And that is it. It doesn't go further.

I think that the line in my script that causes this
is 'dpkg-reconfigure -phigh debconf'.

So, can anyone explain to me what is the difference between:
running my script (debconf is the problematic process, AFAICT) in tty2 in
chroot
and:
running my script from the preseed late_command option
???

Thanks for reading! Happy living!

--
Shachar Or | שחר אור