Re: linux-kernel-di-i386-2.6_1.64_multi.changes is NEW

On Sunday 20 July 2008, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 17:02 +0000, Debian Installer wrote:
> > (new) kernel-image-2.6.25-2-686-bigmem-di_1.64_i386.udeb extra
> > debian-installer
> > Linux kernel binary image for the Debian installer
> >  This package contains the Linux kernel image for the Debian
> > installer boot images. It does _not_ provide a usable kernel for your
> > full Debian system.
>
> Once this has passed through NEW does that mean it is safe/OK to enable
> the netboot-xen flavour? Or are the nightly images built against
> testing rather than unstable?

We like to do things differently than normal people. Mostly to keep D-I
development mysterious and elite ;-)

- daily D-I builds are built in unstable and use udebs from unstable
- D-I uploads are built in unstable and use udebs from testing

- daily "sid_d-i" CD images are built using daily D-I builds, udebs from
  unstable and regular packages from testing
- daily "lenny_d-i" CD images are built using "current" D-I builds and
  udebs from testing, and regular packages from testing
- weekly CD images are built using "current" D-I builds and udebs from
  testing, and regular packages from testing

The last two are also what's used for D-I beta and RC releases (with minor
changes like labeling).

The "sid_d-i" CDs are what's normally linked as daily CD images from the
D-I project page; when preparing for a release those will link to
"lenny_d-i" CDs.

All of the above are hardcoded to install "lenny" (at least by default),
i.e. the codename of the current testing.

And to be complete:
- official uploads to stable are built in stable and use udebs from stable
  + proposed-updates
- official CD builds use everything from stable and thus can only be built
  _after_ the archive has already been updated to a new stable (point)
  release

I've also added this info to the "D-I internals" document.

Cheers,
FJP