Re: [RFC] Add support for shells in the graphical installer

Quoting Jérémy Bobbio (lunar@debian.org):

> > > +Template: debconf/terminal/gtk/child-exit
> > > +Type: text
> >
> > Well, I don't like it..:-)
> >
> > Not sure what would be the best. Where is this displayed ? Inside a
> > box ?
>
> Inside the terminal to indicate that the shell is gone.  Terminal.app in
> Mac OS X gave me the idea.  The output is something like:
>
>   +---------------------------+
>   | $ pwd                     |
>   | /tmp                      |
>   | $ exit                    |
>   |                           |
>   | Shell process has exited. |
>   +---------------------------+
>
> > I would sugges something like "End of shell process" or "Shell process
> > terminated".

Well, then I suggest "End of shell process."

> > > +Template: di-utils-shell/terminal-plugin-unavailable
> > > +Type: error
> > > +# :sl2:
> > > + This build of the debian-installer requires the terminal plugin in
> > > + order to display a shell. Unfortunately, this plugin is currently
> > > + unavailable.
> > > + .
> > > + It should be available after reaching the "Loading additional components"
> > > + installation step.
> > > + .
> > > + ${WORKAROUND}
> >
> > s/unavailable/not available
>
> Done.
>
> > The 'terminal' plugin, which is required to open a shell, is not
> > available. Please load it from the main menu in 'Loading additional
> > components'.
>
> There is no need to load it manually: it will be automatically retrieved
> by the start-shell script, but the source for the udebs must be
> configured in order to do so.

I don't really understand. You mean that in normal situations, that
template has no chance to be used? If I'm correct, unless something
bad happens, there's always a source for udebs when a d-i component
needs them.

> > > +Template: rescue/initrd-shell/title
> > > +Type: text
> > > +# :sl2:
> > > +
> >
> > Do we really need to specify this?
> >
> > I'm not sure that the "in the installer environment" is really
> > meaningful for our users. When we run a shell in the text installer,
> > it's in the installer's environment and we don't specify it.
>
> The difference is significant in the rescue-mode context: two different
> options are offered.  Either the shell is started from the rescued
> system environment, or it is started within d-i, with the rescued system
> in /target.

Ah, right. I didn't noticed this was indeed meant for rescue. It makes
sense for it.

However, please use "Execute a shell in the installer environment" and
"Execute a shell in ${DEVICE}" as these strings are already used by
rescue and I don't see any reason to make them different..:-)