Re: Make syslinux beep?

Gaijin <gaijin@clearwire.net> writes:

> 	Personally, I'd like to see a configuration option in the
> installation, like a tasksel option that would reconfigure Debian for
> the visually impared, running through the system and setting up what it
> can.  The only problem, beyond writing such a script, is accessing it if
> you're blind. <grins>

The activation problem is exactly what this thread is about.
In some cases, autodetection of what the user needs is possible, in particular,
if a user uses a USB braille display, we can enumerate the USB bus and
find out if a braille device is connect, then start the appropriate daemon
and so on.
But in the case of software speech or old-style serial braille
displays, it is not really possible to autodetect that the user wants to use
such features.  How we currently do this is to have
users type well-known options to the bootloader prompt blindly.
But for this to work better, it would be great to alter the
user when the prompt is actually displayed and the machine is ready
to take commands.

> Was arguing with the Orca folks about a universal accessability
> setup for Linux and creating a standard that anyone could activate
> with a keystroke or command..

I am afraid Orca is not really directly related to this thread.

> It took the RFC's to standardize internet communications, but we
> don't have any kind of standard for others to follow or support.

Well, as explained above, USB offers at least a kind of standard
for braille display users to enable autodetection.  I am not sure
how a "standard" can help us with the problem at hand.  We
are trying to define one, by implementing a workable soltuion, that is hopefully
copied by others in the future.

> As things are, all we can hope to do is come along behind everyone
> else and try to keep a totalled wreck running.

I kind of know your grief since I am a blind linux user since 11 years now.
Believe me, it was much worse in the past, things are really getting somewhere,
dont loose the hope :-).

Besides, we are talking about installing a completely
new operating system without sighted help, if I remember correctly, thats
something that until today never has worked under Windows.
As a blind Windows user, you are always dependant on someone else (sighted) to
install your OS and get the assistive technologies going.
I consider it a really big thing that at least for some groups of
users, this is already possible with the current Debian release.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>