Re: [RFC] Some love for partman-md

Hi all,

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 09:52:39PM +0200, Max Vozeler wrote:
> Note that I haven't actually tested the changes so far
> but I'm planning to do a few test installs later today.

I got around to testing it just now.

I used the following netboot mini.iso with -base, -md and
mdcfg with your changes included in the initrd:

  http://nusquama.org/~max/tmp/mdtest1.iso  (i386)

I'm attaching my notes. To summarize: I did a rather
complex setup involving RAID0, RAID1 and crypto and it
worked without a glitch.

It correctly recovered from partman restarts, retained
crypto configuration after configuring RAID and is
currently installing the base system.

I'll send an update once qemu is finished ;-)

The change preventing resize and deletion of partitions
on loop-type devices worked fine.

Things explicitly not tested:

 - Inactive/deactiveated RAID devices - I didn't know
   how to test it.

 - RAID on crypto (not a useful setup, or is it?)

If you'd ask me, I'd say lets commit those changes and
make sure to include them in beta3.

One risk I'm seeing is that we're effectively enabeling
setups that were previously not possible - perhaps there
are some bugs to be shaken out.

Things like root-on-crypto-on-raid probably need testing.

I just remember there was indeed one odd thing: After I
finished partitioning the mdcfg dialog came up again. Not
sure what was happening there.

	Max
Notes during partitioning

----

hda
  hda1 100MB ext2 boot
  hda2 100MB raid
  hda3 800MB raid

hdb
  hdb1 100MB crypto
  hdb2 100MB raid
  hdb3 800MB raid

---

Configure encrypted volumes
- Enter passphrase
- partman restarts

Encrypted volume hdb1_crypt appears
- Use as ext3
- Mountpoint /opt

Configure software RAID
- Create MD device
- RAID1
- Number of devices: 2
- Number of spares: 0
- Select hda2, hdb2
- Finish
- partman restarts

RAID1 device appears
- The encrypted volume is still there, all settings kept :-)
- Select RAID1 device
- Use as physical volume for encryption
- Type dm-crypt
- Done

(Here I accidentally exited partman by pressing ESC.
Select partman again from main-menu. It starts and all
settings are correctly remembered :-))

Configure encrypted volumes
- Enter passphrase
- partman restarts

Encrypted volume md0_crypt appears
- Select, use as ext3
- Mountpoint /home

Configure software RAID
- Create MD device
- RAID0
- Select hda3, hdb3
- Finish
- partman restarts

(Here qemu started hanging with near 100% system cpu
on the host system. I suspect this is a problem with
kqemu. I closed qemu and started over).

Starting over..

Partman starts
- Manual partitioning
- Both RAID0 and RAID1 devices detected automatically

Select hda1
- Use as ext2
- Mountpoint /boot

Select RAID1 device
- Use as physical volume for encryption
- Encryption type dm-crypt

Configure encrypted volumes
- Enter passphrase
- partman restarts

Encrypted volume md0_crypt appears
- Select, use as ext3
- Mountpoint /home
- Done

Select RAID0 device
- Use as ext3
- Mountpoint /

Select hdb1
- Use as physical volume for encryption
- Encryption type dm-crypt
- Random key

Configure encrypted volumes
- Enter passphrase
- partman restarts

Encrypted volume hdb1_crypt appears
- Use as swap

Finish partitioning and write changes to disk

"Configure MD devices" comes up !?!?
- Select Finish

Base install starts

mdadm asks which arrays should be started during
early boot. Keep default "all".