Re: Memtest

On Tuesday 27 May 2008, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> Jérémy Bobbio <lunar@debian.org> wrote:
> >   This tester runs independently of any OS - it is run at computer
> >   boot-up, so that it can test *all* of you memory.  You may want to
> >   look at `memtest' (in package `sysutils'), which allows to test
> >   your memory within Linux, but this one won't be able to test your
> >   whole RAM.
> >
> > I think I do prefer to encourage people to use the proper tools than
> > to provide a less than accurate test in the installer main menu.
>
> I think what he is thinking of is having memtest in the syslinux menu
> on the CD.  That would be just like running a memtest bootdisk except
> that it'd be an option on the install cd.  Which would be useful
> (unless it's already there and I missed it).

That's not what Giacomo says in his last message. However...

See #230860.
Patches to implement that in debian-cd would be welcome.
Note that debian-cd would have to edit the syslinux menu files (which are
provided by D-I) to add an appropriate menu option.

Adding memtest86+ to debian-cd would have a much higher chance of being
accepted than anything in D-I, but OTOH we have recently accepted an option
to stress test a new system (try booting a daily built image with
'modules=cpuburn-udeb' added to the boot parameters).
If it is light enough and does not have any weird dependencies we could also
consider a memory test option as an _optional_ component (which means that
it would never be offered very early in the installation).

Please submit a detailed proposal for implementation and we can look at it.
Please provide facts about why it would be better than having memtest.
This current discussion does not seem to be going anywhere anymore.

Cheers,
FJP