Re: DI to detect HIGHMEM

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 04:48:25PM +0430, Armin ranjbar wrote:
> as you know , when there is need for BIGMEM kernels , kernel prints
> warning in dmesg log :
>
> Warning only 4GB will be used.
> Use a HIGHMEM64G enabled kernel.
>
> as for net install , this error is not presented (while it is shown
> in installed system) , 'quite' boot options is removed but still , dmesg
> and syslog log seems incomplete , can you please assist me on this ?

The debian-installer kernel uses the -486 kernel flavour for the i386
architecture.  During the installation process, the installer detects
that the system you are installing is able to support the -686 flavour
and install a -686 kernel.

Both flavour have different built time options[1].  -484 has
CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM set, where -686 has CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G.  The kernel does
not output anything when CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is set, which is why you don't
get any message when starting up the installer.

So, from what I can think of, you can either need to find a more
reliable way to detect the full amount of memory in the system, or build
a custom debian-installer using a -686 flavour…

Or use the amd64 architecture. :)

[1] http://merkel.debian.org/~jurij/2.6.24-5/i386/

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism