Re: How to preseed install via pppoe (for A-DSL)?

On Thursday 22 May 2008 16:50:59 Josef Wolf wrote:
> But wasn't ppp originally intended to connect multiple networks?  In
> this (IMHO _very_ common) scenario you would always have at least two
> interfaces: ppp to the provider and a statically configured interface
> to the local network.  Further, you would probably provide DHCP/DNS
> servers (e.g. via dnsmasq) for the local network.  This gives the
> setup I mentioned above.
>
> I don't see the point in having ppp as your one and only interface.
> Is this scenario really _that_ common?  Who would want to use such
> a setup?

D-I is not responsible for such setups. It does not do such setups for
systems with two "normal" NICs that are used as bridge, router or Internet
gateway, and I don't see why it should do anything special for PPPoE.

D-I sets the system up for use with a single NIC. Any other config ATM is up
to the sysadmin after the installation has completed. And, as said before,
I see no reason to do things differently for ppp-udeb than we do for
netcfg.

The current settings are a rather careful compromise between different
needs. Changing them would require a lot of care.