Re: Confusion about /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider file.

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 03:06:42PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 22 May 2008 13:32:37 Josef Wolf wrote:
> > I am somewhat confused about the naming of the ppp provider file.  On
> > debian systems it used to be /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider at least since
> > sarge.  On ubuntu, it used to be the same.
> >
> > But when in the sources (retrieved with "apt-get source ppp-udeb") I
> > find no trace of this file.  There, it is called /etc/ppp/peers/provider
> > (note the missing "dsl-").
> >
> > Anybody knows where the transition is going on?
>
> AFAIK nothing has changed in Debian.

Thanks for the quick response, Frans!

I've done some more investigations, and it looks like this is not a
new inconsistency.  It seems to already exist for quite a while.  I
have multiple etch boxes here, some with "provider" and some with
"dsl-provider".  AFAICS, it boils down to how pppoe was installed:

1. Some boxes were installed with vanilla intstall cd.  Here, pppoe
   is installed manually by running "pppoeconf ethX" which stores into
   /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider

2. Other boxes are installed with ppp-udeb preseeded.  Here,
   ppp-udeb.postinst stores configuration into /etc/ppp/peers/provider