Re: Please explain status/background of /dev/mdX versus /dev/md/X

also sprach Neil Brown <neilb@suse.de> [2008.04.28.0857 +0200]:
> I would like to make mdadm work equally well with both usages, and let
> system-integrators make the decisions :-)
> So anything I can do to make mdadm work more nicely for you I will
> seriously consider.
>
>   --use-dev-subdir ???

Well, an mdadm.conf entry would be easier to work with, probably
best together with such an option.

Is there any reason why we don't just make it default? As you said,
/dev/mdX works just as well, but that doesn't mean that mdadm needs
to support it. We'd need a migration strategy though...

unix, because rebooting is for adding new hardware.