Re: Small change to main-menu

On Wednesday 26 March 2008, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> I am thinking of another option (but I have not fully researched if it
> was doable): we could change main-menu to verify if a package has a
> postinst script before displaying an entry in the menu.

Yes, that could work as well. If you want to look into that further, please
do. I'm not sure if it would be a really clean solution though as details
like that are usually left to udpkg, but if lib-di provides something like
a has_postinst function it could be OK.

Another issue is that it would still require the udeb to have a dummy menu
item, and if it does need one, why not use a specific value for it (as we
basically do already)? So, the gain is marginal at best.

A proper solution would be one that does not require them to have a menu
number at all. I looked at using the priority for that at some point, but
that would IMO require too many priority changes for existing udebs _and_
leave us fairly exposed to mistakes is udeb priorities.

Anyway, as fdisk is already being incorrectly included in the menu now, IMO
we should do something fast. Any objection to implementing my patch now and
maybe later switch to some other solution?

Cheers,
FJP