Regarding: bugs not updated for a long time

Op 20-03-2008 om 18:17 schreef Teodor:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 6:01 PM, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> >  It was originally left open because it was still a theoretical issue;
> >  the installer did not check whether quota support was available. It was
> >  obsoleted by newer kernels rather than fixed directly in
> >  partman-reiserfs; as such I imagine simply that nobody noticed that it
> >  was still open.
>
> Isn't this a good reason to close the bug?
>
> >  Your attitude is rather odd, though. Bugs are not closed simply because
> >  they are old!
>
> Being old is not the only factor in the discussion. In my opinion the problem
> reported here was eliminated and there is no reason not to close it.
>
> My contribution to Debian is little, but when I'm investigating a
> particular package
> I'm wasting time reading bugs that don't deserve any attention, no more feedback
> was given for months/years but are left open. Still, I might be wrong and an
> unknown procedure to handle bugs is written somewhere... :)

I second the point of view of Teodor.

Seeing a bugreport that isn't updated for a long time,
feels indeeds like wasting time. Especially when it is unclear why a
bugreport is still open.

The procedure I follow aims for closing the B.R. ( I known that a better
aim, is solving the issue ) When I think it can be closed, I close the BR.
When in doubt, I update old bugreport reports with "No feedback in a
long time. With a scan over a few months and still no update, it is OK
close this bugreport."

Cheers
Geert Stappers