Re: Installation Report lenny-amd64

On Wednesday 19 March 2008, Pierre Meurisse wrote:
> First time, I had two disks plugged : sata and ide.
> After reboot, grub wouldn't work. I even tried a grub CD but nothing
> doing.
>
> I unplugged the ide, and reinstalled from start, with expertgui.
> It worked all right.

That could be one of two known issues.
1) When you have multiple disk controllers in your system, grub can be
confused as to which is the one the BIOS will boot from.
See bug existing reports against grub-installer for details [1].
2) If both devices are recognized as /dev/sdX, it is possible that the
devices get swapped around after a reboot. This is documented in the errata
for the installer [2].

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/grub-installer