Errata updating for beta1
I'm on the process to updating the errata for beta1 and would like to
get an ack here before commiting the changes there. Please look that
the diff and see if you spot something wrong at it.
RCS file: /cvs/webwml/webwml/english/devel/debian-installer/errata.wml,v
retrieving revision 1.109
diff -u -r1.109 errata.wml
--- errata.wml 13 Apr 2007 21:14:08 -0000 1.109
+++ errata.wml 17 Mar 2008 17:57:38 -0000
@@ -1,13 +1,11 @@
#use wml::debian::template title="Debian-Installer errata"
-<h1 id="etch-rc2">Errata for etch release candidate 2 (RC2)</h1>
+<h1 id="lenny-beta1">Errata for lenny release beta1</h1>
-This is a list of known problems in the etch RC2 release of
-Debian Installer. The same version of the installer was shipped
-in the official 4.0 release.
-If you do not see your problem listed here,
+This is a list of known problems in the etch Beta1 release of
+Debian Installer. If you do not see your problem listed here,
please send us an <a href="report-template">installation report</a>
describing the problem.
@@ -25,32 +23,11 @@
Fixing this issue has priority for the next release of Debian installer.
- <dt>Resizing of existing ext3 partitions may fail</dt>
- The installer is currently not able to resize ext3 partitions that have
- the <tt>dir_index</tt> and/or <tt>resize_inode</tt> features enabled.
- This includes ext3 partitions created with the Etch installer.<br />
- You can however manually resize an ext3 partition during installation.
- Proceed until the partitioning step, use the <Go Back> button to
- exit to the main menu, start a shell, and resize the file system and
- partition using the commands available in the shell (<tt>fsck.ext3</tt>,
- <tt>resize2fs</tt> and e.g. <tt>fdisk</tt> or <tt>parted</tt>). If you
- start partman again after completing the resize operation, it should
- show the new size of the partition.
- <dt>Incomplete installation of Desktop task from full CD</dt>
- The full CD image is too small to contain all packages needed to
- install the complete Desktop task. This means that if you only use the
- CD as a source, only part of the Desktop task will be installed.<br />
- You can resolve this either <em>during the installation</em> by choosing
- to use a network mirror as a source to install packages in addition to the
- CD (not recommended if you don't have a decent internet connection), or
- <em>after you have rebooted</em> into the installed system by using
- <tt>apt-cdrom</tt> to load additional CDs and then selecting the Desktop
- task again in <tt>aptitude</tt>.
+ <dt>kernel oops during installer startup on ThinPad T41</dt>
+ The problem looks to be kernel related but has not yet know to be fixed.
+ For reference check <a href="http://bugs.debian.org/470522">#470522</a>.
<dt>Buggy routers may cause network problems</dt>
@@ -79,22 +56,6 @@
a bug report against the relevant package (not the installer).
- <dt>Limited localization of installed system</dt>
- For the Sarge version of the installer the package localization-config was
- responsible for part of the localization of the installed system. This
- package ran as part of base-config, which has been dropped in the release.
- Adapting localization-config to run before the reboot is on our TODO list,
- but meanwhile some localization may not be done automatically when
- installing in languages other than English.
- <dt>Installation of Sarge not supported</dt>
- As a result of some structural changes in the installer, installation of
- Sarge (stable) is not supported.
The graphical installer still has some known issues (see also the
@@ -111,14 +72,6 @@
- <dt>Network driver sky2 known to be broken</dt>
- The sky2 network driver is known to be broken in the kernel
- (2.6.18.dfsg.1-11) used in the installer and may cause kernel panics. See
- for example <a href="http://bugs.debian.org/404107">#404107</a>.
- <a href="http://bugs.debian.org/411115">#411115</a> contains a series of
- patches that may fix the issues.
<!-- leaving this in for possible future use...
<dt>i386: more than 32 mb of memory is needed to install</dt>
@@ -130,33 +83,6 @@
- <dt>i386/amd64: serial console setup with GRUB</dt>
- There are some issues with the way the installer tries to setup GRUB
- to use a serial console. Full details can be found in the bug report
- <a href="http://bugs.debian.org/416310">#416310</a>.
- Briefly, these issues can be resolved by ensuring that the parity and
- bits options are also passed in the <q><tt>console=</tt></q> definition.<br />
- For most people this will mean that instead of booting the installer
- with <q><tt>console=ttyS0,9600</tt></q> you should use
- <dt>alpha: error while loading initrd when installing from CD</dt>
- The value of the boot parameter <tt>ramdisk_size</tt> is too small on
- RC2 CD and DVD images. You can still boot from CD by increasing this
- value to 17108.<br />
- This issue has been fixed for daily images and will also be fixed for
- official Etch images.
- <dt>amd64: formatting an ext2 file system is not possible</dt>
- Because the ext2 kernel module is not available, it is not possible
- to create an ext2 file system.
<dt>powerpc: various issues</dt>
The PowerPC port has several issues in this release:
@@ -170,13 +96,6 @@
- <dt>sparc: CD installs for sparc32 may fail</dt>
- The esp kernel driver module is broken which means that installation from
- CD-ROM is broken for most sparc32 systems. We suggest you use the <q>netboot</q>
- installation method instead.
<dt>s390: unsupported features</dt>
O T A V I O S A L V A D O R
E-mail: email@example.com UIN: 5906116
GNU/Linux User: 239058 GPG ID: 49A5F855
Home Page: http://otavio.ossystems.com.br
"Microsoft sells you Windows ... Linux gives
you the whole house."