Re: Adding the cdebconf web frontend to alioth SVN repo

On Thursday 28 February 2008, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
> Frans Pop wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 February 2008, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
> >> The only other requirement is a small, CGI capable, http server like
> >> thttpd, which needs to be packaged as an udeb, anyway.
> >
> > Why does it need to be packaged *anyway*? What other use case is there
> > for thttpd inside the installer other than the web interface?
>
> Uhm.. how would you provide the HTTP server to the installer, then ? by
> means of the the same udeb which is supposed to  provides the CGI
> scripts companion to the frontend ?
> Given a regular deb providing thhtpd already exists, i guess it
> shouldn't be too complicated building the udeb...

No, I mean why "anyway". By adding that you implied that there was already
some other reason to package a thhtpd udeb, but I now understand that was
not the case.

An alternative option could be to use the httpd server included in busybox.
Disadvantage would be that that increases the size of all images, unless
we'd have a separate busybox, but that would also mean separate images.

OTOH, web frontend only really works if it is included in the initrd anyway
and all network config can be done completely automatically, so that
probably also means separate images and then using the busybox option is
probably the best one from a size PoV.

See, loads of options and considerations :-)