Boot method: CD netinstall lenny
downloaded 2008:02:15 10:51 CET
Date: 2008:02:15 11:00 CET
Machine: Dell Latitude C810
Processor: Intel PIII 864 MHz
Memory: 256 MB
Partitions: <df -Tl will do; the raw partition table is preferred>
Filesystem Type 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda4 ext3 9574584 3244412 5843808 36% /
tmpfs tmpfs 128348 4 128344 1% /lib/init/rw
udev tmpfs 10240 112 10128 2% /dev
tmpfs tmpfs 128348 0 128348 0% /dev/shm
Disk /dev/hda: 20.0 GB, 20003880960 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2432 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xfd478bc7
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 1 4 32098+ de Dell Utility
/dev/hda2 * 5 1099 8795587+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda3 1100 1221 979965 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda4 1222 2432 9727357+ 83 Linux
Output of lspci -nn and lspci -vnn:
Base System Installation Checklist:
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it
Initial boot: [O]
Detect network card: [O]
Configure network: [O]
Detect CD: [O]
Load installer modules: [O]
Detect hard drives: [O]
Partition hard drives: [O]
Install base system: [O]
Clock/timezone setup: [O]
User/password setup: [O]
Install tasks: [E]
Install boot loader: [E]
Overall install: [E]
The lenny installer seems generally working, and pretty friendly as well.
Unfortunately it fails on installing grub.
It just says it failed without any further elaboration, and I'm afraid this
would be a final error for a non-expert user.
I also tried to install lilo and grub2, which also both fail.
So, I completed the installation without bootloader, and rebooted using the
installer in rescue mode. I opened a shell with /dev/hda4 mounted as / .
aptitude install grub
Thus I got a bootable pc.
Thus, I suspect that something goes wrong with the installer running something like
/usr/sbin/grub-install --root-directory=/target /dev/...
but have no idea whether it is a misbehavior of grub or of the installer.
I booted into debian, and proceeded to select the tasks, thus correcting the
other problem of the installer: it only proposes a list with the Standard System
in the initial installation.
Everything works fine then, without any need of extra tuning, including audio,
xorg at the correct native screen resolution. Cute!
Keep up the good work! Best,