Re: Preseeding LVM over software RAID?

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 05:20:01PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Friday 18 January 2008, Brice Figureau wrote:
> > I'm quite new to preseeding (but used the d-i several times before
> > that).
> > I'm trying to setup a preseeding installation for a LVM over 3 software
> > RAID1 partitions, I mean something akin to:
> >
> > /dev/sda1 + /dev/sdb1 -> /dev/md0 ext3 /boot
> > /dev/sda2 + /dev/sdb2 -> /dev/md1 swap
> > /dev/sda5 + /dev/sdb5 -> lvm VG, furtherly splitted in several LVs
> > for /, /home, /var, etc...
> >
> > Since it doesn't seem to be supported directly by the d-i preseeding
> > system at this time (ie you can choose anly between "regular", "lvm",
> > "raid" and "crypto" for partman-auto/method), what would be the best
> > option for me?
> >
> > Should I create a shell script that setup my partitioning and software
> > raid devices first (a kind of early_script), which then let
> > partman-auto-lvm do its job, or is there any other possibilities?
>
> What you want is fairly complex and the implications of it all are not
> really easy to judge. You may well be able to script this somehow, but I
> would be lying if I'd say it was easy and I also do not really have any
> concrete suggestions to offer.
>
> Basically auto-partitioning is not really suited ATM to deal with multiple
> devices: it's recipe expansion divides up all available space on a single
> device, so even if you could create a script to create your RAID1s, you'd
> still have the problem of getting /boot, swap and the rest separated.

Attached is a patch against partman-auto-raid/5 (released with Etch)
that allows the preseeding of RAID + LVM setup.

It has been tested with the recipe added to the README.  The recipe gets
fairly akward though, as "defaultignore{ }", "lvmignore{ }"
and "lvmok{ }" flags need to be set in the correct fashion as both RAID
partitions and LVM partitions overlap in the recipe.  All this does not
feel really clean to me but does what it should.

The work was done for a CDD based on Etch and would need forward porting
for the current development version to cope with the changes done in
partman.

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism