Re: Time to migrate discover1 users to discover v2

On Sunday 13 January 2008, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > So neither discover nor discover1 currently install init scripts?
>
> That is correct.  discover since version 2.1.0-1 uploaded 2006-08-11
> (now in stable), and discover1 since version 1.7.22 uploaded
> 2007-12-31 (now in testing).

OK. So discover1 in stable still _does_ have the init script which means
that there can be users upgrading from Etch to Lenny that still depend on
the init scripts.
In that case I feel that an explicit warning about the change really is
required.

> The discover1 version dropping the init.d script is only in testing so
> far, so those upgrading discover1 from stable would need to have the
> init.d script removed by the discover1 transition package or discover
> v2.  This is why I added the code to drop the init.d script of
> discover1 in discover.  But I am not sure if this is the way to do it.

I expect it is as there will be direct upgrades from discover1 with init
scripts to discover without init scripts on Etch to Lenny upgrades.

> I see your point, but am not sure I agree.  discover-modprobe is at
> least a useful example, and those that want to use it from private
> kernel module (as in providing their own discover-data file) loading
> might still use it.

Why not move it to /usr/share/doc/discover/examples then? Keeping it in sbin
only makes sense if it is still really in use.