Re: installing Debian on USB harddisk?

On Thursday 20 December 2007 00:13, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> I've got a Linutop PC, but maintaining the usual squashfs
> system on a tiny USB stick is much too painful. I would
> like to make the USB stick obsolete, and use a USB harddisk
> instead.

> Is d-i supposed to support installing and running Debian
> on a USB harddisk drive without any USB stick or Floppy
> drive available?

The easiest would be if you had a CD-(ROM,R,RW)/DVD(+/-)(ROM,R,RW,RAM) drive.

The easiest alternative method would be to preformat the usb hard disk and put
the installer on the usb hard disk from another machine.

Can you netboot? If so, there is also the netboot method. (Requires a dhcp and
tftp server under your control).

If none of those is possible you may be out of luck; How else do you obtain
software/data to put on this computer?

Regards,

Daniel

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore