Grub-efi

This is just an informational email, I have extensively researched this issue nor filed a bug about it.

I saw that grub-efi was available as a package I could install. I am currently using elilo with no current plans to change but thought I would get grub-efi just to see how well it worked. But installing it failed

Install procedure is as follows:

  1. Install Linux on EFI BIOS Based system.
  2. At package selection, I deselect Desktop since I am currently testing with KDE

As a side note: it would be nice if the install task list asked which Desktop you wanted when you selected it.

  1. Finish the install and reboot.
  2. On next boot, I have to install xorg and kde. It was at this point I decided to grab a lot of other packages at the same time.
  3. One of the packages I grabbed was grub-efi
  4. Install proceeded to the end where I saw these messages:

      Grub-efi

A package failed to install. Trying to recover:

Setting up grub-efi (1.95+20070604-1) …

Grub-probe: error: Cannot get the real path of ‘/dev/sdb’

Dpkg: error processing grub-efi (--configure):

      Subprocess post-installation script returned error status 1

      Grub-efi

By the way, I have no /dev/sdb.

I am not sure what it thinks my USB attached CDRom drive is, but there is no /dev/sdb.

This is just an informational email.

I can return to testing this in particular in the future, but it is low priority for me at the moment.

Charles