Re: [RFC] Alternative solution (was: r50470 - trunk/packages/kbd-chooser/debian)

On Tuesday 18 December 2007, Joey Hess wrote:
> Frans Pop wrote:
> > >
> > > if [ ! -e /etc/whatever_file ] || [ "$1" = reconfigure ]; then
> > > 	# ask question
> > > fi
> >
> > Having d-i write an /etc/whatever_file for this still seems very ugly
> > to me.
>
> Um, that's intended to be a standin for whatever is the name of the
> keymap file that d-i configures instead of console-* configuring.

Ah, OK. That was not clear to me.

Wouldn't work because kbd-chooser configures the keymap by running
   chroot /target install-keymap $KEYMAP
_after_ console-data has already been installed...

> I read the RFC immediatly after reading the commit message. It's
> holidays and I don't have a lot of time. I also prefer to have as little
> to do with console-* as possible..

OK. As I indicated before, I was a bit surprised when Christian uploaded so
fast because I really did also have reservations against using the temp
file myself.

> I'm not sure what the resulting console-data/keymap/policy entry looks
> like in /var/cache/debconf/config.db. Does it have a sane template, or
> does copydb make it have debian-installer/dummy as the template? That
> would break later reconfiguration. Does it have the right owner?

Ah right. I was confusing the way we propagate some D-I debconf settings to
target and the way we propagate "real" preseeding of target. (Also explains
why I could not find any real trace of the owner field while I thought I
remembered we used that to decide what to propagate.)

> preseed's own base-installer script uses debconf-set-selections.
> echo "console-data console-data/keymap/policy seen true" | \
> 	chroot /target debconf-set-selections

I'll do a test with that. Thanks.