Using auto in /etc/fstab for cdrom drives (was: Re: mixed iso9660/udf DVDs)

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 04:28:19PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Robert Millan wrote:
> > It seems the vista DVD is a mixed iso9660/udf whose iso9660 contains a
> > README pointing out that you should use udf, etc.  Probably other DVDs do
> > (or will do) the same.  The default fstab setting makes "mount /cdrom" use
> > iso9660, whereas "auto" seems to choose the appropiate option for each case.
> > I would suggest:
>
> The current default of udf,iso9660 should make mount try each filesystem
> in the order listed and so use udf first. Is there some reason this
> doesn't work in your case?
>
> There might be other benefits to using type=auto. I've seen machines
> where ext2 needed to be added to the fs list since ext2 formatted CDs
> were used. The only real downside seems to be if libblkid guesses the
> filesystem type incorrectly.

Does that happen?

Theodore, as the libblkid maintainer, do you have any comments about
such a change?

After a quick search to have a look at other distributions, I have found
that Gentoo already uses "auto" in its example [1].

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=8#doc_chap1

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism