Re: Debian (and Ubuntu) not installing. No Ethernet WAS: No CDRom

Op 11-09-2007 om 11:11 schreef Richard G Riley:
> Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 06:16:26PM +0200, Richard G Riley wrote:
> >>
> >> In the end I replaced the IDE DVD drive with a SATA and it worked.

I would have replaced the motherboard,
with one that does have GNU/Linux support.
(With some luck you can still go back the computer shop to get your
money back )

> >> Unfortunately Debian still would not install as it failed to
> >> recognise the onboard ethernet controller next.
> >
> > Which controller is that?  Can you provide lspci output?
> >
> >> I finally succeeded in installing Ubuntu Feisty 7.04. Interestingly
> >> Gutsy wouldn't install.
> >
> > Which driver did Feisty use?
>
> Sorry not to be more specific - it was a long weekend of DVD
> juggling. Ubuntu Feisty is the only distro I could get to install
> though.
>
> lspci give this ethernet information
>
> ,----
> | 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit
> | Ethernet Adapter (rev b0)
> `----
>
> If you need any more information please let me know with instructions on
> the best way to obtain it.

Please provide the PCI ID of the Ethernet controller.

 lspci -n | grep  02:00.0

The question
> > Which driver did Feisty use?
should be answered with reduced output of the

 lsmod

command. ( "reduce" means here removing the lines that are surely not
the ethernet kernel module ( like sound drivers ))

Cheers
Geert Stappers