Re: Planned changes to D-I "level 1" translation framework

On Tuesday 10 April 2007 12:39, Christian Perrier wrote:
> The lists of packages in the 2 sublevels are in the files named
> packages_list_sublevel1 and packages_list_sublevel2 in packages/po in
> the D-I SVN.

Currently, level 2 has quite a few packages from which at least some
strings _will_ be visible even during a totally default installation.
Examples are partman-auto-{lvm,raid}.

However, as long as it is very clear to everybody that this split is only
to set a _priority_ for what to translate first, the current split would
be OK with me. It should _not_ be an excuse to stop translating once
level 1 is finished and activation of languages should only be done on
the understanding that *all* of d-i needs to be translated.

With the current split partman-{j,x,reiser}fs should probably be moved to
level 2; same goes for partman-ext2r0.

Also note that elilo-installer and partman-efi can be used for i386/amd64
installations on Intel PowerMacs.

Based on the comments above, I'd suggest to reorganize the level files as
in the attachments.

Finally, I sincerely do hope that this framework will not increase the
number of automated commits in the archive. The SVN logs are already
hardly readable because of all the l10n-sync commits.

Cheers,
FJP

# List of packages with translatable material
# which we want translators to work on
#
# ONLY i18n COORDINATORS or release managers should add packages here
#
# Developers, if your package has translatable material and
# is not listed here, please get in touch with the i18n coordinators
# and request for it to be added
#
# Packages are sorted by order of "importance".
# This file contains "level 1" packages, ie those used during any
# type of install for i386
#
# The full path of the package root (relative to packages/) must
# be used here. DO NOT USE THE SOURCE PACKAGE NAME.

# General d-i stuff
main-menu
debian-installer-utils
anna

# First half of 1st stage
localechooser
kbd-chooser
cdrom-detect
hw-detect
netcfg
choose-mirror
net-retriever
cdrom-retriever
floppy-retriever
mountfloppy

# Generic and i386 partman
partman/partman-base
partman/partman-auto
partman/partman-target
partman/partman-basicmethods
partman/partman-partitioning
partman/partman-basicfilesystems
partman/partman-ext3

# Second half of 1st stage
tzsetup
clock-setup
base-installer
apt-setup
user-setup
cdebconf
pkgsel
finish-install

# i386 bootloader
arch/i386/grub-installer
# List of packages with translatable material
# which we want translators to work on
#
# ONLY i18n COORDINATORS or release managers should add packages here
#
# Developers, if your package has translatable material and
# is not listed here, please get in touch with the i18n coordinators
# and request for it to be added
#
# Packages are sorted by order of "importance".
# This file contains "level 2" packages, ie those...not listed in level 1
#
# The full path of the package root (relative to packages/) must
# be used here. DO NOT USE THE SOURCE PACKAGE NAME.

# i386 alternative bootloader
arch/i386/lilo-installer

# Optional components
rescue
installation-report
cdrom-checker
preseed
iso-scan
network-console
nobootloader

# Expert components
mdcfg
partman/partman-auto-lvm
partman/partman-auto-crypto
partman/partman-lvm
partman/partman-crypto
partman/partman-md
partman/partman-auto-raid
partman/partman-reiserfs
partman/partman-jfs
partman/partman-xfs

# Used for installations on Intel PowerMacs and IA64
partman/partman-efi
arch/ia64/elilo-installer

# powerpc partman and bootloader
partman/partman-newworld
partman/partman-prep
arch/powerpc/quik-installer
arch/powerpc/yaboot-installer
arch/powerpc/prep-installer

# Other architecture-specific components
autopartkit
flash-kernel
lvmcfg
partconf