Re: RFC: warn user about first accounts privs

Hi Dann,

On Thursday 11 January 2007 02:05, dann frazier wrote:
> I'm not sure what changes are considered acceptable at this point in
> d-i, but I wanted to float this one. I discovered while researching
> #404927 that the first user added at install time is also added to
> various system groups. Though I think its reasonable, I personally did
> not expect it and thought a warning was in order.

It certainly cannot be committed anymore before the release of Etch as we
have a string freeze (except in exceptional cases).

I also don't feel it is something that needs to be explained in the
installer itself, but is more appropriate for the installation guide.
However, the installation guide is currently frozen as well.

TBH, I don't see how a clear kernel/udev issue can be mitigated by
something as trivial as this. As if random users will understand what the
implications are of being a member of certain groups. IMO this is just
papering over the issue.
Professional sysadmins can be expected to check what groups an
automatically created account is a member of (and will probably not
create the first account to be given out to any random user anyway).

Cheers,
FJP