Re: [RFC] Option to blacklist modules for d-i and installed system

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 04:18:06PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> We sometimes see that a module that is automatically loaded causes
> problems, either because of a bug or because of a driver conflict.
>
> Therefore, it would be nice to be able to have a generic facility to
> blacklist modules for the installer and to have those carried over into
> the installed system.
>
> I propose to implement something like the patch below to rootskel.
> Note that debconf cannot be used as the blacklisting needs to happen
> _before_ udev is run for the first time.
> Patch has been tested and seems to work nicely.

Looks good to me. I'd be very happy if something like that would make
it into etch.

> Current format is "blacklist=module1,module2".
> Alternative formats could be "module.blacklist" or "module.off" (possibly
> a bit harder to implement).
> A last option could be "module.blacklist=yes", which is probably most
> consistent with "module.param=value".

I think the first way (blacklist=foo,bar) is the most straightforward,
but it's your call, of course.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org