Re: Powerstack II: installation success with some quirks

(CC to Colin for comments about disabling prep support on CDs.)

On Thursday 04 January 2007 11:24, Ulrich Teichert wrote:
> after using the correct daily netboot image:
> cdimage.d.o:/cdimage/daily-builds/sid_d-i/20070103-2/powerpc/iso-cd/deb
>ian-testing-powerpc-netinst.iso

That is not a netboot image...
The netboot image is:
http://people.debian.org/~wouter/d-i/powerpc/daily/prep/netboot/

> Now, to the details:
> booted the initrd-image from the CD over tftp with:
> `boot net:<server-ip>,vmlinuz-prep.initrd,<client-ip>`

I'm not sure that we want to support booting a CD image over the network.
The real netboot method and the hd-media method are valid alternatives.

> I've checked the manual and the net booting instruction for prep is
> missing the "net:" string before the server IP address. `help boot`
> would also be good to list, this gives a lot more information about
> what is possible.

The manual will be frozen for the Etch release at the end of this week. If
something needs to go in, a bug report with a patch will need to be filed
very soon by someone from powerpc community.

> Booting from the CD-ROM did not work and I didn't expected it would -
> no big deal, IMHO, as long as it's noted in the manual. I've just
> checked and prep is listed under supported architectures for CD-ROM
> booting. If Powerstacks could be simply excluded there, this would be
> appreciated.

If booting of CD is not supported, I'd just as soon remove support for
prep from CD images. The powerpc CDs are already very large because they
have multiple kernels and initrds. Removing the prep support would free
up some much needed space for regular packages.

AFAICT the only change needed is to disable building the d-i prep cdrom
images in d-i build system; debian CD will then do the correct thing.

We'll still need the udebs and kernel image on the CD for the hd-media
installation method though.

> Partitioning: I first goofed totally because my prep-boot partition was
[...]

I've seen your bug report about this. This is going to need debugging by
someone from the powerpc community.

> Reboot: I've used `boot disk` to get into the mkvmlinuz boot loader.
> The initial reboot from disk did not work, because the kernel option
> root=/dev/sda2 (in my case) was missing. As soon as I've added this to
> the options listed on the mkvmlinuz boot prompt, disk booting
> succeeded.

This one is simpler to fix.

Thanks for your testing and glad to hear you managed a successful install.

Cheers,
FJP