Re: partman-nbd

Quoting Wouter Verhelst (wouter@debian.org):
> Hi,
>
> I'd been planning to do a partman-nbd for quite a while (hence the

Comments about debconf templates:

First, all of them should include a line with:

# :sl4:

Before the "_Description" line. That will put these templates in
sublevel 4 which is, imho, the place they belong to (maybe "sublevel
3" once the feature is no longer experimental).

Template: partman-nbd/text/configure_nbd
Type: text

Later, you talk about "a" Network Block Device, so for consistency,
I'd suggest using an indefinite article there as well.

A tricky question is about using capitals or "network block
device". I'd go for the latter but I understand that capitals made
things closer from "NBD".

If a choice is made, it should be consistent all along the
templates, of course. Again, I have a small preference for normal
writing and no capitals. Maybe, at some key points, use "NBD" in
parenthesis to introduce the acronym.

Template: partman-nbd/mainmenu
Type: select
Choices-C: connect, disconnect, finish
Choices: ${CHOICES}

That means that "connect", "disconnect" and "finish" will never get
translated. That's infortunate....

 There are currently ${NBD_DEVICES} connected.

What is suposed to go in the variable?

Template: partman-nbd/server
Type: string
 Please enter the name or the IP address of the system running
 nbd-server.

s/name/host name, maybe

Template: partman-nbd/port
Type: string
 Please enter the port on which the nbd-server is running.

Maybe "Please enter the port nbd-server is listening to on ${SERVER}."

Template: partman-nbd/device
Type: select
Choices: ${CHOICES}
 Please select the NBD device node that you wish to connect or
 disconnect.

Template: partman-nbd/error/noserver
Type: error
 Connecting to the nbd-server failed. Please ensure that the host and
 the port which you entered are correct, that the nbd-server process is
 running on the host and the port you indicated, and that your network
 is configured correctly, and try again.

The short description should not end with a dot and preferrably not be
 a sentence.

Proposal:

 Connecting to the nbd-server failed. Please ensure that the host and
 the port which you entered are correct, that the nbd-server process is
 running on that host, that the network is configured correctly, and retry.

Template: partman-nbd/error/nodev
Type: error
 There are no Network Block Device nodes left. This is either because
 you've used them all, or because something went wrong with the
 detection of the device nodes. Either way, you cannot currently
 configure any more network block devices before you first disconnect
 one.

That one could be shortened, probably

 Either all available network block devices are in use or
 something went wrong with the detection of the device nodes.
 .
 No more network block devices can be configured until a configured
 one is disconnected.

Template: partman-nbd/error/noconnected
Type: error
 There are currently no Network Block Device nodes connected to any
 server. As such, you can't disconnect any of them.

To avoid a sentence as title, I suggest:

 No Network Block Devices are currently connected and therefore none
 can be disconnected.

(that one, I'm not entirely sure of)

Template: partman-nbd/menu/connect
Type: text