Re: Serious issue with cdebconf translation filtering (was: Tasksel only partly localized?)

On Mon, Dec 24, 2007 at 03:12:55AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Sunday 23 December 2007, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > While running a default install with one of the dailies, I found out
> > that tasksel was promptig me in English while the installation was
> > running in French.
> >
> > Of course, tasksel's translation is complete for French, even for the
> > uploaded version.
> >
> > Indeed, the *tasks names* were translated while the main screen ("At
> > the moment, only the core of the system...") wasn't.
>
> This is caused by the fact that the debconf-copydb call in pkgsel's postinst
> (to copy the d-i templates we want available in the target system) clobbers
> the templates.dat file in the target system.
>
> AFAICT this is because of the post-Etch change to "filter out" translations
> other than the currently selected one.

I agree with your diagnosis.

> The issue can be worked around by adding a 'unset DEBCONF_DROP_TRANSLATIONS'
> in the pkgsel postinst, but I don't feel that would be the correct solution
> as IMO by default the filtering should just not have *any* effect on other
> debconf databases than the D-I one. Having to remember to unset such a
> dangerous option is not a good design.
>
> A possible solution could be to NOT have DEBCONF_DROP_TRANSLATIONS=1 for the
> whole D-I environment but to only set it in places where we actually want
> the filtering to happen.

I think it's simpler and more correct to simply unset
DEBCONF_DROP_TRANSLATIONS in debconf-copydb, as is already done in
debconf-loadtemplate. I've done this in r50612. Could you confirm
whether this fixes this bug?

Thanks,