Re: debian install on openpower

Hello Eric,

Please file an installation report [0] next time you want to report issues
with the Debian Installation system. Thanks.

On Thursday 20 December 2007, eweiss@rznet.de wrote:
> There are 2 problems useing the debian install on an IBM  openpower
> maschine.
> 1.
>  The consoledevice for terminal logins is not tty
> its named hvm0...n
> After installation there are  no console  logins possible, because there
> are no definitions in inittab.
> Pam also denys login because the missing entrys in /etc/securetty.

The installer already supports hvsi and hvc consoles. This is the first I've
heard of hvm consoles. (I do wonder why everybody, and especially powerpc,
seems to need to invent new devices all the time.)

The best way to get this supported is probably if you try to add support for
it yourself (as you have the hardware and we don't).
To get support for the installed system, the only thing that would need to
be changed is the script /usr/lib/finish-install.d/90console (from the
finish-install udeb package).
If you manage to get it working, Please file a wishlist bug report against
finish-install with a patch for that script.

> 2.
> After installation from cd there must be one person entering the
> datacenter to close the CDROM, because  the debian-installer  allways
> execute an cd-eject.

The installer already has an option to prevent the CD to be ejected.
See [1] and look for cdrom-detect/eject. You can of course also use
preseeding for that [2].

> A question  dialog asking for ejecting the cd where very helpful.

As it is rarely a problem, we do not want to add an extra dialog for this.

Cheers,
FJP

[0]http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s03.html#submit-bug
[1]http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.powerpc/ch05s02.html#installer-args