Re: How to preconfigure debconf values?

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 11:23:29PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:

Thanks for your help, Frans!

> On Saturday 22 December 2007, Josef Wolf wrote:
> >   debconf-preconfigure time/zone Europe/Berlin
> >   apt-get install tzdata
>
> Geert's suggestions about _how_ to set the values are correct, but at the
> same time you are trying to set the _wrong_ values.

OK.

> The time/zone template is a debian-installer template, not a tzdata
> template. You could have seen this if you'd tried debconf-get-selections
> on an installed system as explained in the Installation Guide,

Oh, I actually tried that:

  mybox:/# debconf-get-selections |egrep -i '(Berlin|tzdata|Europe)'
  perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
          LANGUAGE = (unset),
          LC_ALL = (unset),
          LANG = "de_DE.UTF-8"
  locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
  locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
  locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
  mybox:/#

> or by running the command 'debconf-show tzdata'.

Ah!  One more command which would be worth to be mentioned on debconf's
manpage.  But then again:

  mybox:/# debconf-show tzdata
  perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
          LANGUAGE = (unset),
          LC_ALL = (unset),
           LANG = "de_DE.UTF-8"
  locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
  locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
  locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
  mybox:/#

> That would have shown you that you need to set _two_ templates:
> tzdata/Areas: Europe
> tzdata/Zones/Europe: Berlin

On ubuntu gusty, with tzdata-2007j), I actually get that:

  root@dvb1:~# debconf-show tzdata
    tzdata/Zones/Australia:
    tzdata/Zones/Asia:
  * tzdata/Zones/Etc: UTC
    tzdata/Zones/SystemV:
    tzdata/Zones/Arctic:
    tzdata/Zones/Pacific:
    tzdata/Zones/Antarctica:
  * tzdata/Zones/Europe: Berlin
    tzdata/Zones/Africa:
    tzdata/Zones/America:
  * tzdata/Areas: Europe
    tzdata/Zones/Atlantic:
    tzdata/Zones/Canada:
    tzdata/Zones/Indian:
  root@dvb1:~#

But not on debian/etch (with tzdata-2007b-1).  As I wrote yesterday in
this thread, I guess I get the old version of tzdata because I messed
up /etc/apt/sources.list somehow.  Maybe someone have a hint for me what
the correct sources.list would be for etch?