Re: Malayalam fonts are not getting installed

Quoting Frans Pop (elendil@planet.nl):

> > Another idea would be ranking languages by number of speakers.
>
> And put Dutch way down the list? Never! :-P

You don't care as all Dutch-speaking ppl I've met just say that they
don't use Dutch translations because:

- they prefer English (nl_NL version)
- they don't like the way Dutch is used and anyway it's Flemish (nl_BE
version)

:-)

More seriously, doing so is anyway quite unfair to some communities
where the development and use of Debian and CDD is much wider than the
population (hint: Finland).

> Or maybe % of completed po-debconf translations? Or ...

Yay, I vote for that one..:-). If we fall short on one, that could
work quite well, yes.

> I'd say that relative contribution to Debian would be a pretty fair
> criterion, which probably would come close to justifying the list you
> proposed...

Just need to raise CJK a bit, then.

> To be serious. The best solution would be to prioritize _within_ tasks.
> Tasksel already supports "key" packages and "regular" packages.

I entirely agree. This is quite a tedious task but would definitely
help. Actually, I was not very keen about the difference between "key"
and "regular" packages so most of the tasks (which I wrote quite
quickly in the past) are not very consistent wrt this.

> I could even see the introduction in tasksel of a third, call it "extra",
> class that would list "nice to have, but no problem if it's not available"
> packages" which are either ignored for debian-cd package sorting purposes
> or are sorted after "regular" packages.

I like this idea a little bit better than:

> Or, alternatively, just creating <lang>-extra tasks that contain such
> packages and are either listed lower down in task.list or not listed at all
> (but that would possibly make language task selection in aptitude a bit
> less obvious).

....which would lead to yet another series of tasks and related
tedious maintenance bits for no real benefit.

Implementing "extra" packages needs someone to do the work, though.

> I also wondered about sorting all <lang> tasks before all <lang>-desktop
> tasks, but am not sure if that would be logical or not. It could improve
> basic language support for some languages lower down the list, but could
> also result in just more manpages packages being sorted early.

I have no strong advice here: IMHO, anyway, except for "historical"
languages (mostly european and CJK), the vast majority of users
insisting on a localized environment will choose a desktop task....and
then get the <language>-desktop task.

> Anyway, my conclusion is that improvements should not be sought by fighting
> over the sort order, but by improving the way packages between and within
> tasks are prioritized. In different words: by having a very clear policy of
> how task files should be written and ensuring that this is done
> consistently for all languages.

Yes. We currently have nothing and thngs are far from being consistent.