RE: Debian install issues with i386 EFI based system

Howdy Robert,

The original posting was to solve an EFI boot CD need. Otavio is obviously a
supporter of GRUB and wondered if there was a solution based on it. I don't
think there is at the moment.

My thought for an i386 Legacy/EFI Install CD is that it would use the Hard
Drive emulation mode instead of the No Emulation mode. This means the El
Torito section needs to point to a Partition Table which has only one (32MB)
partition which contains a Boot Sector which loads this original BootImage
as a file now in a FAT File System instead of a raw image contained in the
El Torito area. The file can be hidden. The rest of the files in the FAT
File System area of the El Torito Hard Drive Emulation area would be the
i386/AMD64 EFI files StartUp.nsh, elilo.efi (or eGrub.efi), elilo.conf (or
eGrub.conf), initrd, and vmlinux.

There are some components of this fix which are related to the packaging
process to the build, some related to fixes in files, and some related to
the install process.

I am going to repost something a little more descriptive perhaps starting
with debian-cd and when I identify the packages that need to be fixed, move
back to debian-install and/or debian-boot.

Charles