Re: Partman reorganization - day 1

Hi Frans,

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 09:59:29PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> I also committed this change in partman/Makefile because dpkg-shlibdeps gave
> a warning that libld.so.2 was unused:
>    -LIBS=-lparted -ldl
>    +LIBS=-lparted
> If someone knows this to be incorrect, please shout.

Seems fine; Currently no code in partman uses anything
related to libdl.

> Overview of the reorganization
> ==============================
> Most commits are just moving files containing library functions around,
> including updates for all scripts that source them:
> partman-base:         ./definitions.sh    -> ./lib/base.sh

Checking dependencies,

The following packages use base.sh but can't depend on
partman-base because they are themselves explicitly or
implicitly depended on by -base

  partman-basicfilesystems
  partman-basicmethods
  partman-ext2r0
  partman-ext3
  partman-jfs
  partman-partitioning
  partman-reiserfs
  partman-target
  partman-xfs

The versioned dependency of -auto-crypto on -crypto was
off by one (>= 24 should be >= 25; fixed).

> partman-lvm:          ./lvm_tools.sh      -> ./lib/lvm-base.sh
> partman-crypto:       ./crypto_tools.sh   -> ./lib/crypto-base.sh

Unless there are plans to further split up lvm and crypto
I would name those just lvm.sh and crypto.sh.

> Then there are two commits that add a 'memfree' function in base.sh and
> updates partman-crypto to use that. I intend to also use that function
> tomorrow to dynamically load LVM and crypto support only if there is
> sufficient memory.

Looks good.

> The last commit is by far the most invasive. It is based on a change
> proposed by Jérémy in #396023, but takes his suggestion a bit further.
> The commit moves everything that has to do with disk labels (including four
> templates) from partman-base to partman-partitioning.

No problems spotted.

> Among others it moves the default_disk_label function from base.sh in p-base
> to a new function library file new-label.sh [1] in p-partitioning. Main
> reason is that this function is only called from a few specific places and
> thus having it in base.sh is just not efficient, especially given that it
> is ~150 lines of code.

> The new function create_new_label is now only used from p-partitioning
> itself, but intention is to also use it from partman-auto when using guided
> partitioning of a whole disk. I'll work on that tomorrow as well.

Looks good overall. Thanks for working on this.

	Max