Re: [RFC] Loading of IDE modules by hw-detect

On Saturday 10 November 2007, Frans Pop wrote:
> And finally it's totally ineffective as by the time the module selection
> dialog is being displayed, the drivers that are needed to actually support
> the hardware *have already been loaded automatically*.

I wonder if we should not move to a different scheme to manually load device
driver modules. We currently do offer that, but effectively only if _no_
device of the type we're looking for is detected, which does not help users
if e.g. one disk controller is detected, but another one isn't.

Maybe the following would be an option.

Instead of implementing module loading everywhere separately, create a new
menu item _after_ finish-install which allows manual selection of modules
to load (and maybe unload if not marked "[permanent]").
This component could be invoked in cases where we cannot detect a device we
need automatically (maybe passing a parameter for the type of device we
want), but could also be selected manually from the main menu by (expert)
users.
This new component could of course still be part of hw-detect.

This component could then also support entering module parameters, which we
could then remove from the default installation flow where it is:
- extremely seldom used at the moment
- ineffective as it does not allow passing parameters for modules that are
  actually needed (as those have already been loaded automatically)
- and thus basically only clutters expert mode installs
- somewhat redundant as we also have the option of passing module parameters
  at the boot prompt