valid swap partition and uswsusp

I've built three Etch systems this year.  The most recent seems fine, but its
installation proceeded differently than in the past, and so I'm confused.

I installed from the latest netinst CD.  During "Select and install
software", the following came up:

 "The swap partition that was found in uswsusp's configuration file is
  not active.  In most cases this means userspace software suspend will
  not work for you and you will need to choose (or let uswsusp choose)
  another partition.  In some corner cases, however, this can be what you
  want.

 "Continue without a valid swap partition?"

One would think that answering "No" (continue without a valid swap partition)
would be a bad idea.  In fact, it was the only way to get the installation to
complete.

I now find that I have /usr/sbin/s2disk, /etc/uswsusp.conf, and other
hibernation software that is not present on my previous two installations.
I did the same "software selection" on those but used whatever Etch (stable)
netinst CD was current.

As far as I can tell, I do have a valid swap partition despite the error
during installation.  /proc/swaps has

  Filename            Type            Size    Used    Priority
  /dev/hda5           partition       1461904 524     -1

I have two questions.

1. What caused hibernation software to be installed this time but not in the
   recent past?
2. Do I have a valid swap partition?

This could be related to bug 411727, but supposedly that was fixed.  Thanks.