Netinstall: "Boot into new system" fails

Hello.

I've installed from the latest 40r1-i386-netinst CD.

When it comes to rebooting into the new system, GRUB displays its menu,
I select a kernel entry; then, after that GRUB prints the usual "root ...,
kernel ..., initrd ..." lines, the cursor jumps to the top-left corner of
the screen, there appears a single dot (.), and the computer freezes (I
have to press the "reset" button to restart).

I cannot figure out what is going on. I've tried several different things
(with and without root on LVM, each of the 2 kernels proposed by the
installer) all with the same results. [I've tested the integrity of the
CD.]

What should I look for in order to solve this problem?

Best regards,
Gilles