Re: syslinux F1..F6 screens

(CC Colin Watson just to get attention, no need to CC him in further
replies. Keeping the crosspost between the two lists is, OTOH, wished)

Quoting Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña (jfs@computer.org):
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 05:53:31AM +0200, René Mérou wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to traslate the F1-F6 ... screens.
>
> Do you mean these files:
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/debian-installer/i386/boot-screens/ ?
>
> I have no idea where are they generated from, they are indeed in the
> debian-installer sources (installer/build/boot/x86) but there does not seem
> to be a translation infraestructure for them.
>
> Searching, I've found there is already a translation for them at Ubuntu's
> Launchpad. Actually, they are translated already into some languages. For
> example: Spanish
> https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/feisty/+source/debian-installer/+pots/help/es/+translate
>
> I have no idea how Ubuntu wraps those PO files into the help system used by
> syslinux.
>
> Christian, might it be something that could be improvied in the l10n/i18n of
> the Debian's installer?

Hmmm, yes you're right. I've been wrong in my first reply to René in
this thread. The boot screens indeed belong to the D-I infrastructure.

This is something I never really put deep attention too: how to i18n
the boot screens and, simultaneously, what mechanism to use in order
to allow users to switch from one language to another!

Colin, if these things are i18n'ed in Ubuntu, how do you guys achieve
this and what do you use to allow users to switch to another language
for these boot screens help files? Could this be by using somethign
else than syslinux?