Re: Possible to install debian from path not real device (cd/floppy)?

Geert Stappers wrote:
> Op 21-08-2007 om 13:29 schreef tsnider:
> >
> > My embedded system doesn't have a cd or floppy. Is is possible to get Debian
> > installer to install files from a directory path and not cd or floppy? I
> > tried setting INSTALL_MEDIA_DEV variable in bin/env2debconf and
> > bin/user-params without effect.
> > Debian-installer still wants a 'real' device.
>
> Yes and all other Linux / Unix systems
> need a device before they can read a directory path.
>
> Advice:
> Invest some time in normal Linux computers,
> before spending time on embedded systems.

Geert, that was uncalled for. Perhaps you should invest some time in
studying d-i before replying to email about it?

Tim, to answer your question, d-i can be built to expect a debian mirror
on a CD, or to look for the mirror on the network. Where d-i looks is
effectively compiled into the boot image when it is created. If you're
booting a version of d-i that expects a CD, that's where it will look.
If you boot a version of d-i that expects to use a network mirror, then
it'll use that.

I'd have to know more about your embedded system to say for sure, but I
suspect that one of the d-i images that uses a network mirror is a good
choice for you. The most common of these are the 'netboot' images.

Another option that _could_ work for you is to use one of the 'hd-media'
images. These expect to find an ISO file for a Debian CD on an existing
partition on the system. d-i then loop mounts the ISO, and installs from
it as if it were installin from CD.

d-i's design allows for it to use a local mirror located in a directory
of the system's disk, but since the hd-media images cover most cases
where that would be useful, noone has bothered to implement it yet.

INSTALL_MEDIA_DEV, by the way, is a red herring. It is only used when
booting d-i from floppies.

--
see shy jo