Re: Some ideas regarding hardware detection and the installation system

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 06:39:06PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Today I made a small step further on my plan for better hardware
> support in Debian.  I added support in discover version 2.1.2-1 for
> calling module-assistant in discover-pkginstall, and fixed a few
> long-standing bugs in the debconf handling in that script.
> [...]
>
> I believe the next step is to call the discover-pkginstall script from
> d-i during installation, to get the required packages installed.

After reading your answers and more thoughts about it, I really think
that it would be a nice improvement to get. :)

I would probably like to see discover-pkginstall ran after a debconf
question at medium priority, defaulting to true, so it could easily be
deactivated at the expert level.

Do you feel like hacking d-i to propose a first implementation of your
proposal?

On thing might be tricky though: if we want correct feedback while
building a module, module-assistant will probably need to be modified to
use debconf instead of DIY dialog screens.

And finally, I see important cases where discover would want to install
packages in contrib or non-free (see my previous questions), so we
probably would need to raise the priority of the
apt-setup/{contrib,non-free} questions to medium or high when such
hardware is found.

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism