Touchpad not working on HP 500 (Synaptics)

Hey

I have been trying to install linux in my HP 500 laptop but all have failed. I last installed the Debian 4 and this also doesnt work. Please help.

Everything goes fine, but when the GUI comes up my touch pad doesnt work at all. After installation also the touchpad is probably not even detected. I cant even go through the OS with my keyboard, so the only thing I can do is shutdown. Please help, I'm not very familiar with linux but want to switch from windows. Please give me in detail how to get my touchpad working am almost a newbie.

Thanks a ton.

Sam