Re: Some ideas regarding hardware detection and the installation system

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 06:39:06PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> Today I made a small step further on my plan for better hardware
> support in Debian.  I added support in discover version 2.1.2-1 for
> calling module-assistant in discover-pkginstall, and fixed a few
> long-standing bugs in the debconf handling in that script.
>
> With this change in place, calling discover-pkginstall will
>
>  - detect hardware and extract the list of packages supported by this
>    hardware
>
>  - install the packages
>
>  - if any of the packages were kernel module source packages, it will
>    call module-assistant {prepare,build,install} for the package, to
>    compile the kernel module and make it available in the installed
>    system.

Will that work for madwifi (Wi-Fi cards based on the Atheros chipset)?

On a closely related matter, could your infrastructure install
bcm43xx-fwcutter automatically when a wireless card based on the
coresponding Broadcom chipset is detected?

Is there an easy to restart this process later, for example after
moving an hard drive from a system to another?  In that case, should we
add such entry in the rescue-mode?

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism