Re: Fwd: [i18n] Input Method and Fonts improvements for Gutsy

Quoting Daniel Glassey (wdg@debian.org):
> Hi,
> I think it would be good to discuss this with Debian folks at well to
> share their expertise and I think these issues should be addressed for
> lenny as well.

And, given that this highly involves packages beings installed by
default, this should be discussed with the D-I team as such default
installations should be handled by tasksel in Debian.

(please note that Ubuntu does not use tasksel and, therefore,
solutions suitable for Ubuntu will, there, not be suitable for Debian
and vice-versa)

> Regards,
> Daniel

So, original message by Arne Goetje, forwarded by Daniel Glassey:

I think that this should be done by default when installs are done for
non european languages, at least those that are supported by SCIM
(CJK? Indic languages? Other Asian languages? Cyrillic?)

> 2. install im-switch

Ditto

> 3. run as root:
>         im-switch -s scim
> After a relogin, the user can toggle SCIM on/off by pressing CRTL+SPACE.

"im-switch -s scim" should be done once on the installed system, or at
every boot?

> 2. SCIM modules:
> The default installed scim module packages are:
>  * scim-modules-table
>  * scim-tables-additional (Russian and Indic IMs)

Could go in the -desktop tasks for Indic and Cyrillic langs

> I highly recommend, that we put the following packages and their
> dependencies into the Live CD and the default installation to make it
> become more useful:
>  * scim-anthy or scim-prime: Japanese input methods, scim-prime is a
> dictionary based IM, which has a great advantage over anthy. Although
> both are widely used in Japan.

Ditto for japanese-desktop

>  * scim-chewing: Traditional Chinese phonetic IM, widely used in Taiwan

ditto for chinese-t-desktop (already done, indeed)

>  * scim-pinyin: Simplified and Traditional Chinese Pinyin IM, widely
> used in China and by foreigners in Taiwan. ;)

ditto for chinese-t-desktop and  chinese-s-desktop

>  * scim-hangul: As the name says it - Korean.

ditto for korean-desktop

>  * scim-tables-zh: additional table based IMs for Simplified and
> Traditional Chinese, many of them are popular in China, Hong Kong and
> Taiwan.

ditto for chinese-t-desktop and  chinese-s-desktop

>  * scim-thai: well, Thai. :)

ditto for thai-desktop

>  * scim-m17n: bridge to the m17n library, which adds a lot of additional
>  IMs, including Latin based ones for the European languages with
> diacritics. (not everyone likes to fiddle with XKB settings. ;) )

hmmm, seeing this makes me think that, after all, scim could be
installed by default on all desktop installs, and scim-m17n added to
*-desktop tasks for Latin-based languages.

> The following packages may NOT be installed:
>  * scim-uim: BROKEN, will trash the SCIM setup tool. Don't install it.
>  * scim-chinese: old version of scim-pinyin, not compatible with the
> current scim package; breaks dependency handling.
>

> 3. Fonts:
>  a) language selector:

All these things seem more Ubuntu-specific (related to the Ubuntu
liveCD which, afaik, never made its way back into Debian...)

I leave the remaining of the mail (as I added -boot to the CC list)
but don't have much comments. It is full of good ideas, which could
also benefit the installer.