Re: d-i Customization

--- Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:

> You have to realize that D-I has a much more complex architecture than
> boot-floppies. The two are completely incomparable. This offers huge
> advantages when it comes to extensibility, but yes, it also has some
> disadvantages. But it really makes no sense to complain "xxx was possible
> with boot-floppies and thus should also be possible with D-I".

Well, you guys are going to do what you're going to do.  I understand the
complexity of d-i and your team has done quite an amazing job with it.  The
d-i does a whole lot more than boot floppies ever did.  However, if I can
provide input as a user, then I will, for whatever it's worth.

> I don't think I agree with that characterization. Etch has 2.6.18, which
> was pretty current when Etch was released. Distributions have a pretty
> heavy responsibility when it comes to stabilizing a kernel for their
> releases, which means that using the very latest upstream is just not an
> option. Daily images have 2.6.21 and 2.6.22 is already available in
> unstable.

It's been several years since I've messed with Debian at all.  Maybe not
these days, but back then, Debian was always bringing up the rear when it
came to new versions of software including the kernel.  Though, it never
caused me any problem.

I would probably have to do an unstable build to take advantage of the latest
Debian packaged kernel.  Not sure if I want to do that.  I think it may be
less trouble attempting to kludge my own kernel into stable.

> You still do not say _what_ you want to exclude and at what stage of the
> installation (base system, standard packages or additional tasks).

Not an issue.  I went ahead and had a go with the source.  I found it to be
suprisingly straight forward and trouble free.  I just manipulated the udebs
using the ./build/pkg-lists files.  Worked out great.  After stripping things
down and building them back up with only what I needed, I was able to install
all my udebs on the initrd which is cool because it eliminates the need to
load them from CD.  And, since all the udebs install to physical ram instead
of tmpfs, the installer runs much faster.   Works great, I just hit enter a
few times I've got a base install in a couple minutes.  After that, I run a
script to copy over the configuration and install all the rest of the
packages from a partial on hard disk.  Loaded and configured system complete
in around 5 minutes, pretty cool.

  - Craig

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.