Re: d-i Customization

--- Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:

> If you have ideas for that, they would be very welcome. Except for
> updating the documentation on the wiki [1], I don't really see what could
> be done about it.
>
> [1] Which is really needed, but well, a wiki is supposed to be maintained
> by the community...
>
> What exactly do you mean by "exclude"?
> There are several levels of excluding things and points at which udebs
> (and debs for that matter) can be excluded. It also depends very much on
> the installation method you are using what is most appropriate and
> effective.
>
> Cheers,
> FJP

Thanks for the reply!

Debian Installer requires a Debian packaged kernel.  The only way to use your
own kernel is to package and register it in the same manner as a stock
kernel.  Building my own Debian package is not something I've ever had the
need or desire to do.  Based on what I've read in the Wiki, it doesn't look
like a trivial task.  If I can devise an easier way, maybe I can contribute
to the Wiki documentation.

Before d-i, Boot Floppies would just grab whatever image was in the directory
tree and install it, no questions asked.  It was only a matter of dropping-in
your own image.  Pretty simple.  It would be a great help if d-i provided an
option to do something similar.  As it stands, d-i pidegeon holes you into
using only what Debian makes available.  And, if history is any indication,
Debian tends to wallow behind on kernel releases.

When I say, "exclude," I mean, "do not install."  I can force d-i to do that
by removing entries from the status and Package files.  Not a graceful
solution but it seems to work without issue other than a few squawks in the
syslog about missing packages.

I wanted to avoid building from source and customizing from that end, but I
may have a go at it and see how that works out for me.

Regards.

Finding fabulous fares is fun.
Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and
hotel bargains.

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/