d-i Customization

I haven't played with Debian since Woody and I'd like to say how
excellent I feel the current (stable) installer is.  It seems very
polished.  I'm glad I can still use the newt interface, hehe, guess I'm
old fashioned.  I like that it's so accesible to customization and I
hope the plan is to keep developing that aspect.  The preseeding is
brilliant and I'm taking full advantage of it.

I'm attemping to set up a custom network d-i CD for a new computer.
Nothing critical, just a machine I might want run Debian once in a
while.  I need the CD to boot with and install a newer kernel verison
(for chipset/disk support).  Unfortunately, it appears to be a pretty
involved task with d-i.  It would be helpful if the d-i team could
devise a way to make that easier.

The documentation in the Wiki says that I should be able to exclude
udebs using ./.disk/udeb_exclude.  I was dissapointed to find that
doesn't seem to work.  I can exclude udebs by removing their entries in
the the status and Package files, but I don't know if that's something
the developers actually intended.  It sure would make things a lot
easier if I could do it using udeb_exclude.

Thanks,

  - Craig

Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect.  Join Yahoo!'s user
panel and lay it on us.