Re: About the technology being used to build Debian Installer Manual

Dear Christian,

Many Thanks for the quick reply...It had been very helpful....

.

Hmmm, interesting to learn that some activity occurs in
Mongolia. Would you mind pointing these people to me in case they
would be interested in working on Debian localization?

I ll ask them to contact you in this case..

> 3. Intellectual property issues. If we are translating from existing
> content, what is the copyright restriction on that content?A
> guideline is to use content under some open content licensing if
> possible, and only use proprietary ones when there is absolutely no
> choice. We plan to create a set of templates that each country can ask the
> publishers to sign to assign copyright or give explicit use
> permission, whichever is applicable. One thing to note is that all
> content developed will be documented "source" and IP
> specification.

You have two problems here:
-copyright
-licensing

Abou tcopyright, it's widely accepted that a translation work carries
its own copyright which, dependeing on the location in the world may
or may not be transferable. I usually recommend keeping the
translators' copyright in translated documents. I'm personnally not
very fond of the Translation Project way to do it by transferring the
copyright to the FSF.

About licensing, a translation is usually considered as a derived work
and therefore carries the same license as the original work. So, the
question is more about choosing appropriate licensing for the original
work. Be aware that GFDL has for instance a few debated points,
particularly the restrictions put on documents modificiations. I
deeply recommend asking for an advice on debian-legal in case you want
to decide abou tthe appropriate license for a documentation work.

Here we are looking at creating contents from scratch. We will be looking at other contents which are distributed under GPL only or similar licensing policy...

I would say "just do things like the D-I installation manual" but tht
makes a short answer.....:)

Yes I agree with you on this... I just wanted to know the technical aspect of how the D-I installation manual are created. Hope this helps...

Many Thanks
Pema